I think that Mills theory for two atom molecules can be used to explain an
increase in
cross-sections that I've not seen mentioned when discussing the recent
notes from
Louis DeChiaro.

The short story is that one of the factors that demand such high energies
in standard theory
is that any small deflection from a perfect hit will deflect the trajectory
if the incoming nucleus is
at small energies, so you you not only need to overcome the energy barrier
to hit the target, you must also have such high momentum so that the
repulsion have less impact on the deflection.

What I can argue from reading Randell Mills GUTCP and perhaps one can copy
the idea over
to QM is that essentially the electron field and an interplay with angular
momentum enable a focusing effect of the incoming nucleus at lower energies
meaning that cross-section increases many orders of magnitude. If you then
consider a condensed matter you could realize that this aiming is aligning
the movements more and more for each oscillation and resulting in a nucleus
hit at high rate. Also note that for high energy hits are at large relative
speeds. But if we have
an aiming effect in condensed matter we tend to have much lower relative
speeds at an hit. Could this low relative hit mean that we have a more
spherical symmetric interaction and much more balance essentially enabling
other kinds of radiation phenomena then what is expected from high energy
fusion experiments. Remember most of our experience is at high energy
collisions.

What is this aiming. Well, as the nucleus approach the target the most
energy efficient electron distribution for the combined cluster is that of
a cigar or ellipsoid with the angular momentum axis along the long axis of
the ellipsoid. If the in-coming nucleus is missing the target we would
essentially get an angular momentum that is varying if we assumed the
minimal energy distribution if the electron field for each radial distance,
but the system preserve the angular momentum. So a less energetically
electron distribution must be the reality. In an oscillation the best
energetically period is
one that does a perfect hit e.g. there is a force that aims the nucleus to
align perfectly. At least that
is how I picture it myself the reality is more complex, but you get the
principle from my argument.

Enjoy!

Regards
Stefan