ponderomotive Miller forces yield practical fusion of D and Ni58 at 800 --
2000 deg C with 300 W infrared input during startup, Rickard Lundin, Hans
Lidgren, Sweden: Rich Murray 2015.10.15
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2015/10/ponderomotive-miller-forces-yield.html

"Fig. 9 same as Fig. 8, but now using Ni58 +2H as reactor fuel, and for
Grad-force 0.01 N.
Compared to the Ni58 +7Li reactor, the Ni58 +D reactor can be operated at
lower input power (in this case 300 W), yet providing a higher gain.
The gain at equilibrium is here ≈25.
The above simulation of a Ni58 +D gives an average annual energy
output/year of 69 MWh, consuming 0.7 g deuterium and 5.1 g Ni58."

Free full texts of key reports are available.

Teslaalset robbiehobbiesh...@gmail.com via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> eskimo.com
2:26 AM (14 hours ago)
to vortex-l  Vortex-L@eskimo.com discussion group
2:26 AM PDT 2015.10.15 Thursday
Published by Mats this morning:

Essentially no new physics but a little-known physical effect describing
matter’s interaction with electromagnetic fields — *ponderomotive Miller
forces* — would explain energy release and isotopic changes in LENR. This
is what Rickard Lundin and Hans Lidgren, two top level Swedish scientists,
claim, describing their theory in a paper called *Nuclear Spallation and
Neutron Capture Induced by Ponderomotive Wave Forcing* (full length paper
here
<http://documents.irf.se/get_document.php?group=Administration&docid=1772>)
that will be presented on Friday, October 16, at the 11th International
Workshop on Anomalies in Hydrogen Loaded Metals
<http://workshop.wonderevents.fr/>, hosted by Airbus in Toulouse, France.

http://animpossibleinvention.com/2015/10/15/swedish-scientists-claim-lenr-explanation-break-through/#comment-3042

Article:
http://documents.irf.se/get_document.php?group=Administration&docid=1772

IRF Scientific report 305.pdf

Swedish scientists claim LENR explanation break-through
October 15, 2015
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/2015/10/15/swedish-scientists-claim-lenr-explanation-break-through/>
Uncategorized <http://animpossibleinvention.com/category/uncategorized/>
E-Cat <http://animpossibleinvention.com/tag/e-cat/>, energy
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/tag/energy/>, LENR
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/tag/lenr/>, research
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/tag/research/>
[image: Rickard Lundin, photo: Torbjörn Lövgren, IRF.]
<https://animpossibleinvention.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/rickardlundin_photo_torbjc3b6rn_lc3b6vgren_irf.jpg>

here <http://www.irf.se/link/irf_scientific_report_305>) that will
be presented on Friday, October 16, at the 11th International Workshop on
Anomalies in Hydrogen Loaded Metals <http://workshop.wonderevents.fr/>,
hosted by Airbus in Toulouse, France.

*The basic idea is* that ponderomotive forces at resonance frequencies
shake out neutrons from elements such as deuterium and lithium, and that
these neutrons are then captured by e.g. nickel, resulting in energy
release by well-known physical laws.
[image: Hans Lidgren]
<https://animpossibleinvention.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/hans_lidgren_150px.png>

Hans Lidgren

Lundin and Lidgren have made a brief successful experiment and they have
verified the model through calculations against results from well-known
LENR experiments such as the Lugano report with Andrea Rossi’s E-Cat
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/2014/10/08/new-scientific-report-on-the-e-cat-shows-excess-heat-and-nuclear-process/>.
Earlier 2015 they also filed a patent application describing the process.

“We did an experiment on our own but we stopped it. We realised that we
were sitting on a neutron source and that’s not something you should do in
your basement,” Rickard Lundin, Professor of Space Physics at Swedish
Institute of Space Physics <http://www.irf.se/> and member of The Royal
Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA)
<https://www.kva.se/en/contact/Kontakt-sida/?personId=152>*, told me.

The scientists are now preparing for a well-planned experiment with all
necessary safety measures, ideally with a transparent reactor body since
the effect according to the scientists releases a lot of light.

*Ponderomotive forces derive* from the electrical part of oscillating
electromagnetic fields, and act on all particles, bodies or plasmas. They
are all characterized by a transfer of electromagnetic energy and momentum
to charged or non-charged particles. One of them, the gradient force, works
independently of the sign of charges.

Initially the phenomenon was thought to describe the “heaviness” of light —
the ability of light to have a “pushing” force on matter. What Lundin and
Lidgren have investigated and published in 2010
<http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.4913> is that the phenomenon has a resonance
frequency, specific for each particle or cluster of particles, and that the
force increases close to the resonance frequency, being repulsive on
the low-frequency side but attractive on the other.

“The forces are not intuitively predictable, and a bit strange, for example
making hot bodies attract matter,” Lundin says.

*Lidgren, M Sc in Physics Engineering*, and co-founder of the oil
exploration company Rex International Holding, started to investigate the
phenomenon when he discovered strange characteristics of satellite orbits
while analysing satellite altimeter surveys to detect potential hydrocarbon
reservoirs.

The light from the sun was expected to have a pushing force on satellites,
but Lidgren discovered the contrary. After a pendulum experiment in vacuum,
showing the same effect, Lidgren and Lundin published their paper “On the
Attraction of Matter by the Ponderomotive Miller Force
<http://arxiv.org/pdf/1005.4913.pdf>“.

*Lundin was a colleague* in the Academy of Sciences (KVA)* with late Prof.
Sven Kullander, previous head of the KVA Energy Committee. Prof. Kullander
became closely involved in investigations performed by Swedish researchers’
on Andrea Rossi’s devices. Lundin’s interest started with the publication
of the Lugano report
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/2014/10/08/new-scientific-report-on-the-e-cat-shows-excess-heat-and-nuclear-process/>
.

“When I saw the Lugano report and the isotopic shifts it all became so
obvious,” Lundin told me.

He explained that extracting neutrons from the nuclei of deuterium and/or
lithium requires energy, and that the trick is to do this in the most
efficient way.

“Our method is more precise, using the lowest possible amount of energy
[through resonance] to shake loose the neutrons. Others like Rossi are
creating turbulence through square waves [in the electrical current feeding
the heat resistors controlling the reaction — square waves containing a
large number of harmonics and thus many different frequencies], and they
get a turbulent wave spectrum risking that some frequencies become a little
too high,” Lundin explained to me.

*After getting this insight*, Lundin still kept a low profile since the
topic is so infected and also because of a conflictual situation in the
Academy of Sciences ever since Kullander openly declared his interest in
LENR and Rossi’s technology.

“I think the critic is based on fear since this research has been so
stigmatised before. If there is something scientists fear it is to become
like pariahs. It takes a lot of courage to go against established views
but I think I belong to those who have learned to take criticism,” Lundin
told me.

*Lundin and Lidgren submitted* their paper to the open preprint website
Arxiv.org and to the peer-reviewed journal Plasma Physics and Controlled
Fusion, PPCF, but both declined to even let reviewers have a look at it,
the latter arguing *“that the content of the article is not within the
scope of the journal”*. Arxiv.org even blocked Lundin from submitting
further papers during July and August.

“I have quite a good track record with many publications and this is the
first time something like this happens to me. It’s rude not to
offer ordinary review. To me it’s important to get comments and criticism
from research colleagues who can say ‘that cannot be correct’ in order to
improve the paper,” Lundin said.

As for the excuse from PPCF, Lundin commented:

“The word *plasma* is used at least 50 times in the text, and is central to
the spallation process as we describe it. However it is not ‘controlled
fusion’ in the classical sense — fusion of two elements/isotopes transmuted
into a new element (e.g. deuterium + tritium => helium + one neutron). But
surely it can still be described as a fusion. Neutron capture means that a
free neutron is merged with a nucleus/element which is thereby transmuted
to a heavier isotope of the same element (for example 58Ni + 2n -> 60Ni +
energy). The problem is probably the terror that has developed over the
years for touching the term *cold fusion* (and LENR).”

*It was Elisabeth Rachlew*, Emeritus Professor and hot fusion and plasma
researcher at the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology, and also a member
of KVA <https://www.kva.se/en/contact/Kontakt-sida/?personId=3299>* and the
successor of Prof. Kullander as head of the KVA Energy Committee, who
advised Lundin and Lidgren to submit the paper to PPCF. Rachlew also did a
review of the paper.

“I thought the paper was very interesting, and I was amazed when it wasn’t
even sent to reviewers. The answer from PPCF should have been sent
immediately, but instead it took months. I guess they were anguished,”
Rachlew told me.

*The advantage with the theory* by Lundin and Lidgren, apart from that it
fits with experimental data and observations, is that you don’t need to
overcome the Coulomb Barrier — the repulsive force between the positive
charged nuclei in the traditional concept of fusion, which is one reason
why many scientists think that cold fusion is impossible.

“I also thought so — you can’t overcome the Coulomb Barrier [at low
temperatures]. So fusing nuclei with protons won’t work. You may perhaps
initiate a very weak process but not reach a level with significant
energy release,” Lundin told me.

*Neutrons, which have no charge*, can easily be captured by an atomic
nucleus without this problem. A few other  LENR theories are also based on
neutrons but what this model adds is a solid explanation of where the
neutrons come from, which is often lacking in other models.

“Our model describes quite a natural process. It’s probably one of the main
sources for maintaining a high temperature inside Earth, since there’s high
pressure, high temperature and good availability of neutron producing
elements [through this process] with basically unlimited resources of
deuterium,” Lundin said.

*In the conclusions* of the report, the authors write:

*“This report demonstrates, theoretically and experimentally, that nuclear
energy production may be accommodated in rather small units, operating at
modest temperatures (≈900-2000°C), and produce sustainable power output in
the range 1 – 10 kW – at minute fuel consumption (few grams per year).
(…) The magnitude of the power output, delivered from a miniscule amount of
fuel, demonstrates that it is a nuclear process with great potentials.
Properly utilized the process has potentials of becoming an unlimited and
sustainable energy source, producing essentially no long-lived radioactive
waste.”*

And in the acknowledgements:

*” (…) We are particularly thankful to Prof. Sven Kullander, who promoted a
nuclear process for the ‘Rossi experiment’ up to the bitter end (deceased
2014). The diligent work by Prof. Kullander in the Energy Committee at the
Royal Academy of Sciences, and his follow-ups of the Rossi-experiment, was
critical for this work.” *

– – – – – –

*P.S. The person who first* told me about this research was another member
of the Academy of Sciences*, member of the Royal Swedish Academy of
Engineering Science (IVA) and former VP of R&D at the multinational
Swedish-Swiss power, robotics and automation corporation ABB, Prof. Harry
Frank — just to give you an idea of at what level the interest for LENR has
reached in Sweden, while the science editors of the national Swedish Radio,
SR
<http://animpossibleinvention.com/2014/05/31/swedish-national-radio-paints-it-black/>,
and a few outspoken scientists insist that it’s all fraud, or at least that
nothing has ever happened in the field, and that nothing probably ever
will. SR was even rewarded for this.

– – – – – –

** Committees of the Academy of Sciences, KVA, act as selection boards for
the Nobel Prizes in Physics and Chemistry.*

Nuclear Spallation and Neutron Capture Induced by Ponderomotive Wave Forcing
Rickard Lundin and Hans Lidgren
IRF Scientific Report 305  IRF Scientific report 305.pdf
October 2015
Institutet för rymdfysik
Swedish Institute of Space Physics
Kiruna, Sweden