On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Stephen Cooke <stephen_coo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I just read this article in Space Daily:

> http://www.spacedaily.com/m/reports/UMD_discovery_could_enable_portable_particle_accelerators_999.html

I read the following detail with interest:

We have accelerated high-charge electron beams to more than 10 million
> electron volts using only millijoules of laser pulse energy. This is the
> energy consumed by a typical household lightbulb in one-thousandth of a
> second.

This suggests that a beam of eV-energy photons from a laser could stimulate
inner-shell transitions in heavy atoms with binding energies in the 10s of
keVs.  A corollary is that the same thing could conceivably be accomplished
in nature simply through high levels of heat (UV photons), through some
unknown mechanism.

Eric