From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed, Dec 9, 2015 10:21 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]: How many atoms to make condensed matter?

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

Guys, what would you expect to happen if the identity of individual nucleons is
lost once they enter the nucleus?

There is an assumption that the identity is lost, in a sense. Through meson
exchange, neutrons are thought to regularly become protons and vice versa, very
rapidly, and it might be considered experimentally impossible to keep track of
any one nucleon over time.

Since each is supposed to be constructed from 3 quarks, it may be logical to
assume that nearby nucleons behave as one greater one composed of 6 or more
quarks.  How would one prove that each proton and neutron keeps its identity
separate?

I think the current understanding is that by using probes with sufficient
energy to "see" individual nucleons rather than the nucleus as a whole (e.g.,
using electrons accelerated to very high energies), the data are consistent
with nucleons containing three valence quarks.  Beyond this I don't know much
more.

Eric