<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Just a thought:- I wonder if an arrangement could be made with some
> industries
> (e.g. Aluminium producers) where they took a lot of cheap power when it was
> available and less, expensive power, when it wasn't.

I expect some power companies have arrangements like that.

In Atlanta now that we have smart meters, Georgia Power offers a discount
"nights and weekends" rate. The catch is, they charge a lot more during
peak hours in the summer. The rate is 5 cents/kwh off-peak, and 20 cents at
peak.

http://www.georgiapower.com/residential/rate-plans/nights-weekends.cshtml

"Georgia Power's peak period is from 2-7 p.m. on summer weekdays for the
months June - September."