Yes, CO2 is increasing by humans.  In many ways fossil fuels keep us alive
and fed.  It runs the furnace for my house to keep me from freeaing (20F
outside), it runs the tractors that farm the fields, the trucks and trains
that deliver the food, and most people in the US require driving a car to
get to work.

Yes, CO2 is a greenhouse gas and is likely increasing the global
temperature - probably at a miniscule rate compared to the rate of warming
due to natural cosmological and geothermal causes.

Yes, humans continue to make it worse (in a tiny way), but without the CO2
creation the polulation would die in large numbers at the present state of
technology.

I didn't say don't worry.  In fact we should be preparing for warming.  We
should reduce our use of fossil fuels as the economy and technology permit.

What if I am wrong?  No difference. Everyone is polarized one way or the
other.  The reality is that no matter what the president commits the US to,
what I am suggesting is what will happen in the end anyway - gradual
reduction of CO2 as the economy and technology permit.  But, we should not
be selling the effort on the basis of Global Warming - we should be selling
it on the basis of not poisoning our atmosphere.

If the fanatics were to get the reins and turn the "Global Warming" theory
into an emergency, it would cause a shift of lower middle class individuals
into poverty to pay for the emergency efforts.  Many would die from not
being able to heat their house, buy food, or go to work.  It would delay
contributions of the US toward elimination of world poverty.  It would
create a huge demand for a technological alternative that the world doesn't
have.  After all is said and done there would be significant economic
damage, perhaps greater war as many of the poverty stricken look for a way
out, and I believe a total failure to abate global warming in any
meaningful way.