Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The idea of making the device good for a car to justify its rapid
> introduction commercially was just a pipe dream for gullible investors in
> my mind.

Yes. Cold fusion researchers, "over unity" energy researchers and others
are mesmerized by the automobile market. They have good reasons. The
automobile internal combustion engine (ICE) is probably the second most
widely used machine on earth. Probably space heaters (furnaces) are number
one. People manufacture 60 million cars a year. The ICE market is unified.
If you can find a way to make a good replacement for an ICE, the whole
automotive market falls into your lap. Other major energy markets are split
up among many different machines, such as low temperature ovens, blast
furnaces, aerospace engines, marine engines, generators of vastly different
sizes, and so on. Only the automobile market calls for basically one
machine at one power level.

The other reason people are attracted to this is because transportation is
the largest energy sector. People spend more money on transportation energy
so they would flock to a cheaper alternative. See:

Estimated U.S. Energy Use in 2014: ~98.4 quads

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/assets/images/energy/us/Energy_US_2014.png

If you look carefully, however, you see that transportation is large only
because it is hugely inefficient. Compare transportation to the residential
sector. The residential energy sector consumes 11.8 quads, converting 7.66
of them into useful energy, wasting 4.12. That's 65% efficiency. The
transportation sector consumes 27.1 quads, converting 5.68 into useful
energy, 21% efficiency. Actually, as shown in the text at the bottom of the
page, that 21% is an estimate made by the authors of this chart. It is
accurate as far as I know.

There are many reasons for this low efficiency, such as the fact that
electric cars are far more efficient than gasoline ones. Transportation
could be made as efficient as other sectors with existing technology such
as electric cars. In this case it would consume 8.7 quads, making it the
smallest of the four sectors. So perhaps it is not such as lucrative target
for cold fusion as it first appears.

It is interesting to compare this Lawrence Livermore chart to the 2000
version, on the last page here:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/NRELenergyover.pdf

Overall estimated energy use is down slightly, from ~98.5 quads. Actual use
in the four sectors has increased slightly from 70 to 73 quads. The overall
reduction of ~3.3 quads is in changes to electricity generation, and in
increased efficiency throughout the system with things like CFL and LED
lighting.

Electricity Generation consumed 40.4 quads in 2000, and it now takes 38.4
quads. It was 30% efficient in 2000 and it is now 32% efficient. This is
partly because wind, solar and hydroelectricity are considered 100%
efficient, I believe. There is no wasted fuel associated with them. That is
not say that wind turbines convert 100% of wind into electricity.

Coal has fallen from 20.5 quads to 17.9 quads.

On this table, nuclear contributes 8.33 quads to electricity. Nuclear power
produces roughly 20% of US electricity, which is 2.48 quads. So this table
shows nuclear power being 30% efficient, which is correct. The 25.8 quads
of "rejected energy" (waste heat) show here must include 5.85 quads of
steam blowing into the sky from nuclear plant cooling towers.

Hydro is shown contributing 2.47 quads to electricity. That would be 20% of
the total 12.4 quads of electricity. That is way too much. Hydro
contributes only about 6%. See:

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_1_1

This shows hydro contributed 259,367,000 MWh in 2014. That is a little less
than 1 quad, I believe. I cannot find the discrepancy.

The text at the bottom of the Lawrence Livermore chart says that
"distributed electricity represents only retail electricity sales and does
not include self generation." But I still think the numbers are off.

Here is data for worldwide energy consumption. It has interesting
comparisons between 1973 in 2013 (40 years).

https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/KeyWorld_Statistics_2015.pdf