Ok, wow!

So I have for about 20 years been collecting evidence of parallel electric
and magnetic fields creating an anomalous voltage (they don't say voltage,
but mention extracting energy from Dirac sea and a powerful increase in
conductivity).
I have been working with chiral effects for about 5 years, this paper is
perfectly echoing my work.

I can give you a decent size list of experiments with electric current
generating an anomalous preferred direction when current flows along a
magnetic field like this.

Also the equal left and right handed Charity!  Yes I have found that too.
And then it goes on to talk about massless particles that are like
electrons!

This just sounds like an echo chamber of my own work.

John (call me paranoid, but article below in case it disappears or gets
modified)

Scientists at the U.S Department of Energy's (DOE) Brookhaven National
Laboratory and Stony Brook University have discovered a new way to generate
very low-resistance electric current in a new class of materials. The
discovery, which relies on the separation of right- and left-"handed"
particles, points to a range of potential applications in energy, quantum
computing, and medical imaging, and possibly even a new mechanism for
inducing superconductivity—the ability of some materials to carry current
with no energy loss.

The material the scientists worked with, zirconium pentatelluride, has a
surprising trait: When placed in parallel electric and magnetic fields, it
responds with an imbalance in the number of right- and left-handed
particles—a chiral imbalance. That imbalance pushes oppositely charged
particles in opposite directions to create a powerful electric current.

This "chiral magnetic effect" had long been predicted theoretically, but
never observed definitively in a materials science laboratory at the time
this work was done.

In fact, when physicists in Brookhaven's Condensed Matter Physics &
Materials Science Department (CMP&MS) first measured the significant drop
in electrical resistance, and the accompanying dramatic increase in
conductivity, they were quite surprised. "We didn't know this large
magnitude of 'negative magnetoresistance' was possible," said Qiang Li, a
physicist and head of the advanced energy materials group in the department
and a co-author on a paper describing these results just published in the
journal *Nature Physics*. But after teaming up with Dmitri Kharzeev, the
head of the RIKEN-BNL theory group at Brookhaven and a professor at Stony
Brook, the scientists had an explanation.

Kharzeev had explored similar behavior of subatomic particles in the
magnetic fields created in collisions at the Lab's Relativistic Heavy Ion
Collider (RHIC), a DOE Office of Science User Facility where nuclear
physicists explore the fundamental building blocks of matter. He suggested
that in both the RHIC collisions and zirconium pentatelluride, the
separation of charges could be triggered by a chiral imbalance.

To test the idea, they compared their measurements with the mathematical
predictions of how powerful the increase in conductivity should be with
increasing magnetic field <http://phys.org/tags/magnetic+field/> strength.

"We looked at the data and we said, 'Gee, that's it!' We tested six
different samples and confirmed that no matter how you do it, it's there as
long as the magnetic field is parallel to the electrical current. That's
the smoking gun," Li said.

*Going Chiral*

Right- or left-handed chirality is determined by whether a particle's spin
is aligned with or against its direction of motion. In order for chirality
to be definitively established, particles have to behave as if they are
nearly massless and able to move as such in all three spatial directions.

While free-flowing nearly massless particles are commonly found in the
quark-gluon plasma created at RHIC, this was not expected to occur in
condensed matter. However, in some recently discovered materials, including
"Dirac semimetals"—named for the physicist who wrote the equations to
describe fast-moving electrons—nearly massless "quasiparticle" versions of
electrons (and positively charged "holes") propagate through the crystal in
this free manner.

Some aspects of this phenomenon, namely the linear dependence of the
particles' energy on their momentum, can be directly measured and
visualized using angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES).

"On first sight, zirconium pentatelluride did not even look like a 3D
material," said Brookhaven physicist Tonica Valla, who performed the
measurements with collaborators at the Advanced Light Source (ALS) at
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and at Brookhaven's National
Synchrotron Light Source (NSLS, https://www.bnl.gov/ps/nsls/about-NSLS.asp)—two
additional DOE Office of Science User Facilities. "It is layered, similar
to graphite, so a quasi-2D electronic structure would be more expected.
However, as soon as we did the first ARPES measurements, it was clear that
the material is a 3D Dirac semimetal."

These results agreed nicely with the ones on conductivity and explained why
the chiral magnetic effect was observed in this material.

In the absence of magnetic and electric fields, zirconium pentatelluride
has an even split of right- and left- handed quasiparticles. But adding
parallel magnetic and electric fields introduces a chiral preference: The
magnetic field aligns the spins of the positive and negative particles in
opposite directions, and the electric field starts the oppositely charged
particles moving—positive particles move with the electric field, negative
ones against it. If the two fields are pointing in the same direction, this
creates a preference for positive and negative particles that are each
moving in a direction aligned with their spin orientation—right-handed
chiral particles—but with positive and negative particles moving away from
one another. (If the magnetic field orientation is flipped relative to the
electric field, the preference would be for left-handed particles, but
still with opposite charges separating.)

"This chiral imbalance gives a big boost to the separation of the
oppositely charged particles, which can be connected through an external
circuit," Kharzeev said. And once the chiral state is set it's hard to
alter, "so very little energy is lost in this chiral current."

*Potential applications*

The dramatic conductivity and low electrical resistance of Dirac semimetals
may be key to potential applications, including "quantum electricity
generators" and quantum computing <http://phys.org/tags/quantum+computing/>,
Li said.

"In a classic generator, the current increases linearly with increasing
magnetic field strength, which needs to be changing dynamically. In these
materials, current increases much more dramatically in a static magnetic
field. You could pull current out of the 'sea' of available quasiparticles
continuously. It's a pure quantum behavior," Li said.

Separating the two chiral states could also give a new way of encoding
information—analogous to the zeros and ones of computing. And because the
chiral state is very stable compared with other electrical states, it's
much less prone to interference from external influences, including defects
in the material. It could therefore be a more reliable material for quantum
computing, Li said.

Kharzeev has some other ideas: "The resistance of this material drops as
the magnetic field strength increases, which could open up a completely
different route toward achieving something like superconductivity—zero
resistance," he said. Right now the materials show at least some reduction
in resistance at temperatures as high as 100 Kelvin—in the realm of the
best high-temperature superconductors. But there are many different types
of Dirac semimetals to experiment with to explore the possibility of higher
temperatures or even more dramatic effects. Such low-resistance materials
could help overcome a major limit in the speed of microprocessors by
reducing the dissipation of current, Kharzeev added.

"In zirconium pentatelluride and other materials that have since been
discovered to have the chiral magnetic effect, an external magnetic field
is required to start reducing resistivity," Valla said. "However, we
envision that in some magnetic materials, the electrical current could flow
with little or no resistance in a direction parallel with the material's
internal magnetic field. That would eliminate the need for external
magnetic fields and would offer another avenue for dissipationless
transport of electrical current."

Kharzeev and Li are also interested in exploring unusual optical properties
in chiral materials. "These materials possess collective excitations in the
terahertz frequency range, which could be important for wireless
communications and also in imaging techniques that could improve the
diagnosis of cancer," Kharzeev said.

Getting back to his nuclear physics roots, Kharzeev added, "The existence
of massless quasiparticles that strongly interact makes this material quite
similar to the quark-gluon plasma created in collisions at RHIC, where
nearly massless quarks strongly interact through the exchange of gluons. So
this makes Dirac semimetals an interesting arena for testing some of the
ideas proposed in nuclear physics."

"This research illustrates a deep connection between two seemingly
unrelated fields, and required contributions from an interdisciplinary team
of condensed matter and nuclear physicists," said James Misewich, the
Associate Laboratory Director for Energy Science at Brookhaven Lab and a
professor of physics at Stony Brook University, who played the central role
of introducing the members of this research team to one another. "We're
fortunate to have scientists with expertise in these fields here at
Brookhaven and nearby Stony Brook University, and the kind of collaborative
spirit to make such a project come to fruition," he said.

Read more at:
http://phys.org/news/2016-02-chiral-magnetic-effect-quantum-current.html#jCp