i think leon lederman put it best.  In The God Particle, he outlined the two distinct schools that have developed, the theorist and the experimenter.  there are those that come up with the math, the theory, and then those that get up and actually do it.  it used to be one and the same, but its become a split breed.  and it seems to me we have WAY too many theorists and not enough experimenters.