Is it uncommon ?
I have seen such practice in many old PdD LENR papers, and in recent Ed
Storms reports. This is something to promote fo replicators I imagine ?

another (less common) practice is the servo-mode, popularized by michael
McKubre in his closed cell isothermal flow calorimetry.

I found recently a document from LANL about calorimetry in nuclear
technology
http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/n/n1/panda/10.%20Calorimetry.pdf
many ideas from professional... big calorimeter... passive or servo. air
flow, water flow. solid state...

I've also digged Ed Storms "cheap seebeck calorimeter" paper (seebeck
calorimeter done with many TC)...

problem here  with NiLiH replicators are :
- reaction seems very sensible to temperature so servo-mode reduce control
on one parameter (this is even a key finding of Ed Storms in PdD
electrolysis)
- even heat pulse calibration in a dogbone configuration may trigger some
effect...

maybe the dogbone could have two independent heating coil
- one near the chamber quickly heat the fuel
- one near the outside, or in the flow/seebeck calorimeter add a pulse of
heat that reach the fuel much damped and much later.

anyway there is much to learn in old papers, and in professional documents
(including in IR cam documentation ;-> )