John <quack...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Your assumption that all the power used by the customer's plant must end
> up in heat in the room is not valid.  A quick search of J.M Products Corp
> indicates that they are in the chemicals business - wholesale and
> *manufacturing*.  I am not a chemist but I would guess that there are
> plenty of endothermic chemical reactions that would absorb heat energy to
> change one set of chemicals into another.

An endothermic industrial processes turns only a tiny fraction of the heat
into chemical bonds. The rest is waste heat. A typical process is cooking
or canning food. When you bake a cake, nearly all the heat ends up as waste
heat in the kitchen. Only a little goes into changing the chemical bonds in
the cake.

>   Much the same as a hectare of crop absorbs radiant heat from the sun to
> change water and CO2 into stored energy which is then trucked away to
> market.

Photosynthesis is 3 to 6% efficient. 94% is waste heat.

> My guess is that some process they are using to manufacture useful
> chemicals not only converts heat energy into chemical energy (which then
> exits the building by truck), but that this process also contains some
> confidential know-how that the company does not want their competitors to
> find out about.  So this would be a perfectly good reason why they would
> rather not have smart people getting a good look at exactly what goes on in
> their chemical manufacturing process and so wrote that condition into the
> contract.

1. There is nothing going on there. There are no people and no noise.

2. They let Rossi in whenever he wants to go. If anyone is likely to steal
IP, he would be.

3. This is registered as a chemical distribution warehouse. If they are
running large industrial equipment they are violating the law. Such
equipment has to be inspected on a regular basis.

4. An expert HVAC engineer would not have to look closely at the equipment
to measure the heat flow, and even if he did, he could not magically steal
the IP.