The Rossi reactor configuration is described in one of the documents
uploaded in the lawsuit between Rossi and I.H. Document 70-1, Exhibit 1.
The contents are shown here:

http://www.e-catworld.com/2016/10/26/e-cat-plant-test-plan-fabio-penon/

E-CAT MW1 ENERGY PLANT lN MIAMI, TESTS PLAN by Fabio Penon

I had some difficulty understanding parts of this document. I think I have
now figured out the configuration. Here are some notes I posted at
LENR-forum. First, here is some of Penon's text, with comments by me in
square brackets:

The cooling water is contained in a tank, placed inside the plant, that
receives the water from an external plant. [Not sure what an "external
plant" is. I think it means the external tank.]

It is conveyed by pumps in the units E-Cat, where it is heated to vaporize.
The steam is collected in one tube of the steam line, which conveys it to
the outside of the shelter. [Steam "line" means a pipe with steam in it.
Line = pipe. "Shelter" means the shipping container.]

The steam is then passed through the customer's facility, where it cools up
to its condensation. [This means "cools and condenses."]

The water is so recycled to the internal tank in a closed loop. The water
is distilled water. [So the water goes back directly from customer site to
the internal tank, where it started. This does not say it is a gravity
return, but I think it must be, because IH found evidence that this pipe
was half full.]

The external tank is connected with the internal tank, by a water line
[pipe] and a floating valve, so that the level of water inside the internal
tank is maintained constant. The water flows from the external tank into
the internal tank by gravity. [This is another tank, outside the loop. When
the water level in the internal tank falls because of evaporation or leaks,
it is replenished from the external tank. Water flows from the external
tank into the internal tank by gravity feed, under the control of the float
valve.]

*End of Penon text*

Elsewhere it says that the flowmeter is installed in the pipe between the
customer site and the internal tank. I think that is what this means:

In the plant some measuring instruments are installed:

ー flowmeter for measuring the flow rate of cooling water inlet into the
shelter. It is located along the line of return of the water, between the
plant of the Customer and the 1 MW E-Cat

This explains what the external tank is for. It is there to replenish the
internal tank as needed. It is not part of the loop from tank, to reactor,
to customer site condenser, back to the tank.

Comment: There is no indication they tested steam quality. The
configuration shows no instruments to test it, and the protocol lists no
tests such as sparging. The data shows the pressure was 0 bar. This is
impossible. I expect it was high enough to keep the water from vaporizing.
That is, at least 3 psi (1.2 bar).

I expect they would have discovered there was no steam if they had tested
for steam quality. This means enthalpy is overestimated. The temperature
went from roughly 80°C to 103°C which takes 23 cal/g. If it were vaporized
it would take 560 cal/g. So this is off by a factor of 24. Rossi claimed
output was 50 times input, but other tests showed there was no excess heat.
So, there must be error measuring the flow rate by a factor of ~2. (2 * 24
equals approximately 50.)

The flow rate was measured wrong presumably because this was the wrong kind
of flowmeter, the flow was below the minimum, and the pipe was half empty.