Quoting the article:

"Yet figuring out how such a system [Universal Basic Income] could be
afforded -- and not turn a country into a nation of slackers -- is unclear."

As usual the author misses the point. If robots do all the work why should
anyone care whether people turn into slackers?

This sort of thinking has always been common. When writing was invented the
ancient Greeks supposedly complained that young people no longer memorized
The Odyssey. Now that we have computers, people complain that grade school
students no longer learn how to write in script. I suppose that when
automobiles became common, elderly people fretted that young people no
longer knew how to ride horses.

You cannot expect people to know how to use obsolete technology they do not
use. Someday that will include all technology. People will hardly know how
to tie their own shoes, never mind cooking or building a house. That will
be a problem for our grandchildren.

See Arthur C. Clarke's masterpiece "Profiles of the Future," chapters 12
and 13. Here is the end of chapter 13, describing a world in which all
material goods are available in unlimited quantities for free:

It is certainly fortunate that the replicator, if it can ever be built at
all, lies far in the future, at the end of many social revolutions.
Confronted by it, our own culture would collapse speedily into sybaritic
hedonism, fol­lowed immediately by the boredom of absolute satiety. Some
cynics may doubt if any society of human beings could adjust itself to
unlimited abundance and the lifting of the curse of Adam—a curse which may
be a blessing in disguise.

Yet in every age, a few men have known such freedom, and not all of them
have been corrupted by it. Indeed, I would define a civilized man as one
who can be happily occupied for a lifetime even if he has no need to work
for a living. This means that the greatest problem of the future is
civilizing the human race; but we know that already.

So we may hope, therefore, that one day our age of roaring factories and
bulging warehouses will pass away, as the spinning wheel and the home loom
and the butter churn passed before them. And then our descendants, no
longer cluttered up with possessions, will remember what many of us have
forgotten—that the only things in the world that really matter are such
imponderables as beauty and wisdom, laughter and love.