On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 3:25 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

In order to be at least the same, and considering that the energy input per
> fission event would need to be about 10 MeV, you would need at least 1 GeV
> muons.

In the context of muon-induced fission in thorium (something I skimmed past
here recently but have not yet read up on), this might not be a
requirement.  In muonic lead, the mean charge radius of the 1s muonic
orbital lies *within* the nucleus.  So that's almost an additional -1e of
charge that is screening the Coulomb barrier.  We've discussed the
possibility of induced fission through screening of the Coulomb barrier
here before, and there were good arguments for and against additional
electron density increasing the fission rate.  But consider for a moment
that if muonic thorium has a higher decay rate, this is potential evidence
for negative charge increasing the rate.

Does anyone have a link to the discussion of muon-induced fission in
thorium?  This abstract suggests that there's some kind of reverse internal
conversion, but I wonder whether that's the full story.

http://journals.aps.org/prc/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevC.48.1297

Eric