Zell, Chris wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen A. Lawrence [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:41 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: Who Killed the EV?

Here's an interesting question:

Is it possible to design a ground-fault interrupter which can carry --
and safely break -- a 1000 amp current going into a 1000 volt load?

Peaks of a megawatt in my car?   Defrosting the windows should be pretty
easy.

Eh, that wasn't exactly what I was thinking. Rather, a roadside fast-charging station needs to be able to source 1000 kV at 1000 amp; how can we make that safe?

But I also wasn't thinking clearly about that, either -- the volts from the charging station would have to be isolated from ground, so the only way to get a shock from it would be across the two leads. And a GFI won't help with that anyway. Something along the lines of a GFI might still be useful to detect insulation faults in the station itself which could accidentally ground one side.

As to your car peaking at a megawatt, if the battery pack is high-capacity and fast-charging, then yes, it would very likely be able to put out a megawatt without any trouble. It could very probably put out a lot more than that, actually, and if you dropped a wrench across the main battery terminals you'd most likely get an explosion.

On the other hand, on the balance it's probably a lot safer than driving around with a half-full tank of gasoline in the back of the car, which we almost never give a second thought to, partly because we're used to it and partly because the manufacturers have had decades to figure out how to package the "bomb in the back" reasonably safely and inexpensively.