So the restoring force may be a quantum mechanical process that works under
subtle conditions.

Um..... I am forced to wonder if this explanation is similar to skeptic Victor
Stenger's rejection of quantum entanglement - when he suggested "de-coherence"
as the alternative.   An elegant way to avoid saying, 'Well, that's just how it
is " ( ?)  Ultimately, the laws of the universe are just arbitrary and we can't
have endless causes extending downward  any more than an infinite series of
turtles holding up the earth.......... right?

If we go down that route, then I guess we just need hard proof of an effect
verified and the usual reductionism stops at the quantum 'gate'.

I do puzzle at the notion of opposing magnetic fields being 'bounced'  (all
North at the edges but all South in the middle ??).  One would visualize a
collection of springs - in which you stretch them and let them oscillate to a
stop with no net gain.  Something more is needed. And if cold is created, then
something is stilled - or moving more slowly........