Barium Ferrite is wonderful stuff. First, it is both a topological
insulator, and an electrical insulator which tightly locks in the atomic
magnetic dipole induced magnetic domain  where electron flow is non
existent and does not weaken the magnetic domain through electron band
filling.

The key to all this is unpaired electrons. A quantum mechanical property
called spin gives every electron a magnetic field. Electrons like to pair
up is a way that negates their spin. You can think of each one as a tiny
bar magnet with the usual north and south poles. Generally, electrons come
in pairs. And when you pair up two electrons, their magnetic fields (sort
of ) cancel each other out. The orbital containing the pair becomes
magnetically the same from all directions.  Electron pairing is not good
for us.

But in some systems, electrons must go unpaired, leading to interesting
magnetic properties. When you put an magnetocaloric (MC) material into an
external magnetic field, the dipoles associated with the unpaired electrons
tend to align with the field and - importantly - the temperature of the
material increases. Why does the temperature increase? The magnetic field
forces the spins into a thermodynamically lower energy state, and the
result of this is that thermal energy - heat - is expelled. When you take
the material out of the field it cools down. Thermal energy is absorbed by
the system to return the dipoles to a more disordered state. A good example
of an MC material is gadolinium, which has seven unpaired electrons in its
4f orbitals, giving it an enormous magnetic moment.

Scientists have known about the effect for decades. It was first described
in 1881 by German physicist Emil Warburg, who noted that the temperature of
a sample of iron increased when he put it into a magnetic field. And it
wasn’t long before engineers were thinking about how it might be harnessed
to create a heat pump, a device that shifts heat from one place to another
against the gradient.

Barium Ferrite does not allow electron flow to degrade these unpaired
electron orbitals. Strontium ferrite is not a topological insulator but it
is still as good an electrical insulator as barium ferrite. Strontium
ferrite allows a limited number of electrons to flow which weakens the MC
effect and the generation of magnon coherence. Strontium ferrite will do
the job but not a good a job as Barium Ferrite, the job being "producing
magnon coherence".

Both types of these ferrets can be made magnetically anisotropic.
Anisotropic magnetism is a requirement for magnetic triode success.
Ferrite magnets may be isotropic or anisotropic. In anisotropic qualities,
during the pressing process, a magnetic field is applied. This process
lines up the particles in one direction, obtaining better magnetic
features. Through sintering, (thermal processing at high temperatures),
pieces in their definite shape and solidity are obtained,

Barium ferrite does not conduct electricity.  It also has a characteristic
 known as perpendicular magnetic anisotropy (PMA). This situation
originates from the inherent magneto-crystalline anisotropy of the
insulator and not the interfacial anisotropy in other situations.  As a
Mott insulator, it possesses strong spin orbit coupling. This
characteristic produces a log jam of electrons that stops current from
flowing. We don't want any electrons to move.

A wet pressed process where magnetic particles can move when placed in a
magnetic field makes for the strongest magnets before sintering with high
heat can make that magnetic ordering permanent.