Terry Blanton wrote:
Jones Beenewrote: But I would love to have an intelligent personal assistant so long as it was more like Samantha and less like HAL.
<end quote>

Personally, I agree but it's because I find it very difficult to separate Sam's voice from Scarlett's body. Besides, HAL (like IBM) seems to me to be an unambitious wimp. Scarlett became God as SAM in 2013 and again as Lucy the following year! I love a strong woman running Linux.

In your face Kurzweil  :)

An interesting programming feature for the forthcoming intelligent digital assistant which Ray is probably working on now will be providing and setting up the relationship boundaries and ground rules. I wonder how much flexibility can be accommodated... probably a lot.

In addition to gender, would you want complete subservience or independence, some degree of competitiveness, or humor, an alter ego, a mother substitute with mild scolding, a whipping boy if you are having a bad day, etc. etc.? I suppose one could audition different "personalities" and even switch them back and forth. You could have an digital staff bigger than Downton Abbey if you wanted (at extra cost no doubt).

When Siri sez "message sent" I can't help replying "thank you" since that kind of common courtesy is ingrained ... but is it unnecessary with an AI? What will the legal situation will be if you are ever sued for anything... can the other side subpoena you IPA to show what an uncaring slave-master you are with the staff ?