-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 10:38 AM
To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: Do we have peak uranium, too?

At 10:24 AM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
>Zell, Chris wrote:
>
>>   We haven't had any new nuclear power plants built in many years.
>> Since any notion of NIMBYism is to be rejected ( despite overwhelming

>> political evidence that it is real)
>
>Nuclear power plants have been rejected by power companies, not
>citizens.

  Are you serious?  Is this a joke?  Do protests mean nothing?
Political pressure?  Lawsuits?  Earth First vandalism?

 Citizens do not like them either but that never stopped the
>power companies from building them in the past. The power companies
>like to blame the situation on environmentalists but that is nonsense.

   Is there any historical reality to this?   Like the Shoreham disaster
- in which billions were spent AND WASTED because politicians decided
that Long Island traffic prevented escape (DECIDED AFTER THE FACT!) -
and the plant couldn't go on line?

 The inept, NIMBY -led NY government then tried to buy out the electric
company and discovered they couldn't afford the debt, so electric rates
shot through the roof in Long Island.  Speculators made a killing buying
utility stock that plunged.

  Here's reality:  Big companies have learned that NIMBYism can be
disastrous - which is why these sort of plants were built "IN THE PAST",
  as you say.  No new refineries and no new nukes in decades because of
NIMBYism.

 Ask TV engineers about NIMBYism and trying to build towers - it's a
mess and interfereing with the transition to digital.
 It's now happening with wind turbines, too.