The torque is undoubtedly a thermal / radiative asymmetry between upper
(warmer) and lower (cooler) sides of the levitated sphere.

However even if it's due to the random, turbulent airflow caused by the
temperature gradient and evaporation, it's rectifying to consistent
momentum the same way a ping-pong ball trapped under a running tap does, or
a collapsing accretion disk, or water draining down a hole etc. etc.