Think about this: a process for converting sound into x-rays but not involving
hydrogen or sonoluminescence….

The conference papers from ICCM/20-Sendai includes an important but overlooked
paper
“Developing Phonon–Nuclear Coupling Experiments with Vibrating Plates and
Radiation Detectors”
Florian Metzler, Peter Hagelstein and Siyuan Lu

This was available on the LENR-CANR site but for some reason a proper URL
citation cannot be found. Also, apparently it has been
updated with further work recently.

Abstract
Excess heat has been reported in cold fusion experiments since 1989; however,
there is at present no accepted explanation for what
mechanisms are involved. Over the past decades a general theory has been
developed which seems applicable to excess heat and
other anomalies systematically; but in this case we do not yet have unambiguous
experimental support for the phonon–nuclear
coupling and enhanced up-conversion and down-conversion mechanism. This has
motivated experimental studies with which we
hope to develop relevant experimental results from which clear tests of theory
can be made. A facility has been developed with
which we are able to induce vibrations in metal plates from about 10 kHz up to
about 10 MHz and then measure the relative
displacement. With a high-power piezo transducer we have driven a steel plate
at 2.23 MHz to produce a vibrational power of 100W
We are able to detect X-rays… END.

In short they put in sound waves which produce x-rays by upconversion. This
seems to be related to the Mossbauer effect.

No indication is provided of the power ratio in vs out but anytime upconversion
is claimed, there is a potential avenue for gain unless
there is a corresponding downconversion to balance the books.

One variation which I would like to see is to irradiate iron (57Fe) with both
ultrasound and RF at the first sideband absorption line at 34 MHz

The is a surprising history in alternative energy of anomalous energy coming
from iron.

With MIT/Hagelstein on the case, answers may be forthcoming.