>I found a link to the full paper.  Maybe that will help us understand more..
>
>https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.06301.pdf

Another case of researchers not doing their homework. The discovery of
nanodrumming goes back to 2008

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl8029866

One would think that the authors of the latest paper would have done a minimal
online search and given credit to Cal Tech. After all, this phenomenon has been
known for at least 9 years.

That is what graduate assistants are for, right?

I suppose that in defense of the overlooked precedent, they will rationalize
that the Cal Tech group “merely” documented the phenomenon (discovered it) and
did not convert the free vibrational energy into usable electricity… but as
Robin suggests, it is not clear that they did either.