Hi Robin,  Can you supply a link?  The only thing I can find with ion
thrusters is that the magnetic field is used to prevent the ions from
striking the side walls.  I didn't find anything that suggests that a
magnetic field can turn high energy ion trajectories from an
omnidirectional source into unidirectional thrust.  Magnetic fields only
make the ion path curl.

BH