Your preaching to the chorus Jed.  For every ton of Coal put through the
process of combustion, 2 tons of CO2 are produced.  To maintain a
tolaratable CO2 level if projected into future, requires coal usage to
nullified.  And with coal it can be nullified and counter balanced with
renewables certainly.   As you move up the food chain of petrol energy, it
will be harder to replace.   So from coal to oils, to gas, all need and
have replacements with renewables of more and more sophistication.
Eventually all of the metropolitans societies will need to be 100% electric
to even approach metro zones of carbon neutrality.  The time that requires
is the question isn't it?  Will mankind recognize our desperate situation
in time?