I am campaigning to change the page limits for ICCF Proceedings. Okay, it
is not an earth-shaking issue, but I am campaigning. Steve Katinsky says
the limit for ICCF-21 papers is 10 pages. Jean-Paul can make an exception.

I think 10 pages is too low. I strongly recommend a limit of 15 or 20. We
should encourage authors to include more graphs, schematics, photos and
data tables.

There is hardly any reason to limit pages nowadays, with papers being
published electronically. It made sense back when papers were printed on
paper, and it cost money to print and distribute them. The only reasons to
limit the length nowadays are:

1. To reduce the workload on peer-reviewers and copy editors (me, that is).
When pages are filled with graphs and tables they take no extra work to
review or edit. On the contrary, graphs and photos make it easier to
understand the paper.

2. To keep the reader's interest from waning. People don't like to read
long papers. Warn the author of this, and let him decide.

We don't want people shrinking graphs and tables down so much they cannot
be read, in an effort to meet an artificially low page limit. That would
imposing the limits of the old technology on the new, for no reason, to no
benefit. It is also a skeuomorph, which is an offense against aesthetics.
(R.I.P. Steve Jobs.)

I understand why people would not want papers 50 pages long or 100 pages
long in a conference proceedings. But I think 10 is too low!

Let me repeat this is against my own interests, since I am one of the
people who has to read these papers several times, slogging through looking
for subject-verb agreement. (Not content, mind you. Who cares about the
content? Gamma rays, schmamma bays, it's all the same with me.)