There is some confusion in the new paper from the Google researchers,
Berlinguette, C.P., et al., *Revisiting the cold case of cold fusion*.
Nature, 2019

On p. 4 it says: "Over the course of 16 months, we evaluated contemporary
claims of more than 10% excess heat production involving samples of nickel
powder and lithium aluminium hydride (LiAlH4)." They refer to these as Ni-H
samples and they say they tested 420 samples, but they saw no excess heat.

Earlier in the paper, on p. 2 it says:

"Without the guidance of a generally accepted theory, our survey of the
field led us to focus on the empirical investigation of three of its most
prominent claims: (1) the claim that metal electrodes loaded with
extraordinary amounts of hydrogen are a necessary precursor to cold fusion
[39]; (2) the claim that metallic powders heated in a hydrogen environment
produce excess heat [40]; and (3) the claim that pulsed plasma discharges
produce tritium and other anomalous nuclear signatures [41]."

Reference 39 is McKubre, M. C. H. Cold fusion: comments on the state of
scientific proof. Curr. Sci. 108, 495–498 (2015).

https://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/108/04/0495.pdf

Reference 40 is Focardi, S., Habel, R. & Piantelli, F. *Anomalous heat
production in Ni-H systems*. Nuovo Cim. A 107, 163–167 (1994). This is not
about nickel metallic powders. It is about “a hydrogen-loaded nickel rod.”
Solid nickel, not powder. Apparently Berlinguette *et al.* cited the wrong
paper.

Reference 41 is Claytor, T. N., Jackson, D. D. & Tuggle, D. G. Tritium
Production from a Low Voltage Deuterium Discharge on Palladium and Other
Metals. https://doi.
org/10.2172/102234 (LANL, 1995). I think this is the same as:

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ClaytorTNtritiumpro.pdf

So, who used nickel powder and lithium aluminium hydride (LiAlH4)? Some
people claimed that Focardi and Rossi used this. However, Focardi and
Rossi's paper does not say that. It says only “additives.” It does not say
which ones. Quote: "The system on which we operate consists of Ni, in H
atmosphere and in the presence of additives placed in a sealed container
and heated by a current passing through a resistor."

Focardi, S. and A. Rossi, *A new energy source from nuclear fusion*.
www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com, 2010

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/FocardiSanewenergy.pdf

Biberian mentions LiAlH4. Budko says he tried this, but it produced no
heat. See:

Budko, K. and A. Korshunov, *Calorimetric Investigation of Anomalous Heat
Production in Ni–H Systems*. J. Condensed Matter Nucl. Sci., 2017. 23: p.
85-9

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/BiberianJPjcondensedv.pdf#page=90

I do not find any other experiment using nickel powder and lithium
aluminium hydride. In fact, I cannot find any papers that claims excess
heat from nickel powder, except Focardi and Rossi, and later Levi et al.
with Rossi’s cell:

Levi, G., et al., *Indication of anomalous heat energy production in a
reactor device containing hydrogen loaded nickel powder* 2013: Bologna
University

https://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LeviGindication.pdf

Apparently, Berlinguette *et al.* were trying to replicate Rossi without
knowing what the powder in his cell was made of. That seems like a bad idea
to me. I think you should only try to replicate experiments for which you
have full details and the cooperation of the person who did the experiment,
or someone else who replicated. Berlinguette *et al.* never mention Rossi
in their paper, and there are no references to his work, so perhaps I am
wrong. But I cannot find anyone else who supposedly used this material, and
I cannot find anyone who reported that it worked.

Ed Storms believes Rossi did not use nickel plus aluminum hydride.