This is Rothwell’s presentation of Mizuno’s earlier work on the nickel mesh
setup - from last fall.

At this stage neither of them was aware of things to come within a few months
of time which made a big difference in the ease of going to a robust level of
gain.

It is very helpful to put the 4+ years of  research into historical
perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTwecPeNe4

The most striking thing to me from this presentation  is that Mizuno  was using
the nickel mesh coated with palladium early on with modest success - but did
not see the big breakthrough until going to a lower pressure regime (and
allowing the reactor itself to heat up.)

Jones

PS – again it is looking more and more like the low gas pressure could be the
most important new parameter for success.
To me this has to be related to the mean free path being extended to a
resonance level with the IR input. The change to low pressure then favors the
plasmon/polariton explanation - which may eventually turn up in hybrid for the
mechanism which forms the dense clusters.

Note – both Mills and Holmlid have used the low gas pressure regime for two
decades or more.