I happened to meet the Ebensberg Pa Vo Teck mansenary instructor Tim today at
the Evensberg potato fest.
I asked why there are 8x14x16 blocks?  He said commersial buildings build up
from the foundation with the wider block.  At a certain level they switch to
8x8x16 block and this leaves a 6 inch ledge.  A brick wall and insulation can
be then layed upon the ledge.  I did not know this.
Should I use type N or the stronger type S morter on my fire pitt?  He said use
the type N it is more flexable.  I did not know this.
Is it OK to use block in a fire pit?  He said no, don't do it only use products
that were manufactured in a hot process.  These products can take the heat,
concreate and cinder block can not.  Opps on this one.
Why are blocks thicker on one end that this other?  This is the way they are
desigened to slip out of the mold during manufacture.  Lay them thick side up
to from a edge to hold the morter.  Whow another thing that I had no clue about.
I have found that it is easier to say things than to do them.  When you do,
even somthing as simple as a fire pit, there is so much more to learn.  To
think that at one time that I believed that I could fundamentally contribute to
such a rich topic as quantum physics.
Frank Z