It does seem strange for Hotson's professor to insist  electron spin is an
"inherent property" if the only way for pair production to preserve CoM and
CoE is in the presence of a nucleus which undergoes recoil.

In this regard it is worth reading the brief wiki page on the difference
between intrinsic and extrinsic properties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrinsic_and_extrinsic_properties

It seems to me that if a property is believed to be either intrinsic or
extrinsic, such a belief might constrain our ability to improve our
understanding of the world.

Harry