Don,
There is a lot of material to digest.

People who are well versed in the mathematical properties of waves probably
don't find any of this astonishing, but until I watched the video of moving
moire beats I didn't know beats could move backwards relative to the
direction of the motion of the underlying waves.
Using a geometry program called Geogebra to construct sine waves I
confirmed that if a moving wave W* is superimposed on a stationary wave W
the beat will move in the same direction as wave W* if the frequency of W*
is greater than wave W, but  the beat will move in the opposite direction
if the frequency of W* is less than W.

Harry