I strongly recommend that readers equip their houses with alarms for smoke
and carbon monoxide. A carbon monoxide alarm may have saved my life a few
days ago. Some of the things it did surprised me, and made me think it was
a false alarm, so let me describe what happened. If you ignore what you
assume is a false alarm, you might wake up dead.

Last year we had our house electric system repaired and brought up to code,
which includes adding hard-wired alarms for smoke and CO to every bedroom.
On April 5, at 6:30 a.m., the alarm located in the hallway above the
furnace return triggered continuously. I turned off the furnace and opened
doors to the outside. The alarm triggered again some minutes later.

There are three alarms in that area, one in the hall, and two in the rooms
beyond, but I think only the one in the hallway triggered. It continued to
beep periodically. It stopped for a while and then ended with a flurry of
short beeps after 9 a.m.:

9:14
9:18
9:22
9:24
9:28

Nothing after that. During these final bursts, I am sure only that one
alarm triggered. The unit also emitted a bright red light from inside, like
something from a 1960s science fiction movie.

CO gas is lighter than air. Apparently, it was trapped in the hallway
ceiling, which forms a bowl above 5 doors. It is surprising the gas took so
long to disperse. I should have put a fan in the hallway.

The HVAC guy came. He turned on the furnace again and used a hand-held
meter to confirm there was CO. The meter showed increasing concentration.
The concentration did not reach a high enough level to trigger the alarm.
The meter is more sensitive than the alarm.

At around 9 a.m. I suspected the alarm was malfunctioning, since only one
alarm triggered, and there were periodic beeps 3 hours after the furnace
was turned off. However, the hand-held meter confirmed there was a problem,
and since that time the alarm has not triggered. The furnace has remained
off.

I recommend you install a CO alarm on the ceiling or high up on the wall.

Without 21st century CO detection and mRNA vaccine technology, I might have
died twice in the last few months. You see why no one is more in favor of
progress and technology than me. Of course I also acknowledge the harm they
cause.

A new furnace will be installed tomorrow.