Michel Jullian writes:

> > If it exists it could be a major player in the quest for producing
useful
> > energy from Hot or Cold Fusion..
>
> Ah now this talks to me ;)
>
> Thanks Fred for the explanations, I am afraid I am an ignoramus in
particle
> physics but I am willing to learn.
>
> 1/ What is the difference between (*e-) and Ps- exactly? They seem to be
> both composed of a positron and two electrons, why should one be more
> stable?
That is the question begging an answer, Michel.  Under the right conditions
the Ps- could form into a stable "Triad" particle. In chemistry some
reactions go to completion
while some don't.

> 2/ Why should the mass of the Electronium be twice that of the electron
and
> not thrice (e- e+ e-)? I imagine the mass default corresponds to a binding
> energy, but what kind of force would this be, surely not nuclear since
we're
> not talking about nucleons?
A mass 2 x electron mass (*e-) would be the rest mass result of a binding
energy loss equivalent to
the mass of an electron ie., 510 kev or the energy of three 170 kev
photons.
Most likely the mass would be more than twice and less than thrice.

Fred

> Michel

Ps-
> > and
> > use of germanium detector for looking at annihilation photons but
doesn't
> > specify
> > their energy. Could the observed three-photon electron-positron
> > annihilation actually
> > be formation (the mass defect binding energy) of (*e-)?
> >
> > If so electronium could be ubiquitous in nature, albeit in small numbers
> > wrt electrons
> >
> > If it exists it could be a major player in the quest for producing
useful
> > energy from Hot or Cold Fusion..
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/ato/psminus/
> > "The object of our studies is one of these simple systems: the
Positronium