Hi,
[snip]
>I tried a webcam/CCD/CMOS detector and while it seems to work for cosmic
>muons, on the long term (unpowered cell) it appears to work like a very
>insensitive Geiger counter (giving only a few hundred "events" per day),

If a measurable amount of energy is produced by the cell, and is of nuclear
origin, then even an insensitive detector
should pick up multiple counts / second.
To test your detector, you can use an Americium based smoke detector. That's
only about 1 micro Curie, and any
significant energy production should produce much more than that.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au>