This is an essay about vaccine hesitancy by someone who is a physician and
neuroscientist.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/science/articles/needle-points-vaccinations-chapter-one

One of the interesting ideas from the essay is BIS or behavioral immune
system. This operates at the behavioral level rather than at the molecular
or cellular level. Either the vaccine or the covid virus could trigger the
BIS.

begin quote

<< ...ever since they were made available, vaccines have been
controversial, and it has almost always been difficult to have a
nonemotionally charged discussion about them. One reason is that in humans
(and other animals), any infection can trigger an archaic brain circuit in
most of us called the behavioral immune system (BIS). It’s a circuit that
is triggered when we sense we may be near a potential carrier of disease,
causing disgust, fear, and avoidance. It is involuntary, and not easy to
shut off once it’s been turned on.
The BIS is best understood in contrast to the regular immune system. The
“regular immune system” consists of antibodies and T-cells and so on, and
it evolved to protect us once a problematic microbe gets inside us. The BIS
is different; it evolved to prevent us from getting infected in the first
place, by making us hypersensitive to hygiene, hints of disease in other
people, even signs that they are from another tribe—since, in ancient
times, encounters with different tribes could wipe out one’s own tribe with
an infectious disease they carried. Often the “foreign” tribe had its own
long history of exposure to pathogens, some of which it still carried, but
to which it had developed immunity in some way. Members of the tribe were
themselves healthy, but dangerous to others. And so we developed a system
whereby anything or anyone that seems like it might bear significant
illness can trigger an ancient brain circuit of fear, disgust, and
avoidance.
The BIS is, I would argue, one of the instinctual reactions that missed
appearing in medical textbooks perhaps because we’ve not had a pandemic on
this scale for 100 years. Because it focuses on potential bearers of
disease, the BIS triggers many false alarms, since an infected person may
at first show only the mildest and nonspecific symptoms, such as a cough or
sniffle, before they become deathly ill; that’s why even a small exhalation
or a surface touched by a stranger could trigger the BIS. Were it a medical
test of danger, we would say this system tends to err on the “false
positive” side. We see it firing every day now, when someone drives alone
wearing a mask, or goes for a walk by themselves in an empty forest masked,
or when someone—say with good health and no previous known adverse
reactions to vaccines—hears that a vaccine can in one in 500,000 cases
cause death, but can’t take any comfort that they have a 99.999% chance of
it not happening because it potentially can. Before advanced brain areas
are turned on and probabilities are factored in, the BIS is off and running.
It can also trigger rage, but rage is complex, because it is normally
expressed by getting close to the object, and attacking it. But with
contagion, one fears getting too close, so generally the anger is expressed
by isolating the plague-bearer. The BIS is thus an alarm system specific to
contagion (and, I should add, to the fear of being poisoned, which before
the development of modern chemistry often came from exposure to living
things and their dangerous byproducts, such as venoms). Thus it can also be
triggered by nonanimate things, like body fluids of some kinds, surfaces
others may have touched, or even more abstract ideas like “going to the
grocery store.” There is one exception: The BIS doesn’t get or stay
activated in people who don’t feel vulnerable, perhaps because they have
good PPE, or because their youth gives them strong innate immunity, or
because they know they’re already immune, or because they’re seriously
misled or delusional about the reality of the disease. For everyone else,
though, what might trigger the system is rather plastic; but once
triggered, the system is involuntary.
One of the reasons our discussions of vaccination are so emotionally
radioactive, inconsistent, and harsh, is that the BIS is turned on in
people on both sides of the debate. Those who favor vaccination are focused
on the danger of the virus, and that triggers their system. Those who don’t
are focused on the fact that the vaccines inject into them a virus or a
virus surrogate or even a chemical they think may be poisonous, and that
turns on their system. Thus both sides are firing alarms (including many
false-positive alarms) that put them in a state of panic, fear, loathing,
and disgust of the other.>>

end quote

Harry