I am not worried about the population decline in Japan. As I see it, the
problem itself will bring about the solution. I mean that the reasons the
population is declining will be fixed by the decline itself. Sooner or
later, people will start having more children again. Here is a quote from
CNN article about Japan:

Japan’s high cost of living, limited space and lack of child care support
in cities make it difficult to raise children, meaning fewer couples are
having kids. Urban couples are also often far from extended family in other
regions, who could help provide support.

In 2022, Japan was ranked one of the world’s most expensive places to raise
a child, according to research from financial institution Jefferies. And
yet, the country’s economy has stalled since the early 1990s, meaning
frustratingly low wages and little upward mobility.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/01/asia/japan-births-2022-record-low-intl-hnk/index.html

All true, and everyone knows it. But other than Tokyo, there is more space
in most cities than there used to be, and much more space in small towns.
More space, because apartments are larger than they used to be, and because
most towns are depopulated. Houses are cheaper than they used to be. Small
towns and cities are handing out houses to young couples for free.

Here are the stats for my home-away-from-home Suo-Oshima, Yamaguchi. It is
an island in the middle of nowhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su%C5%8D-%C5%8Cshima

The population peaked at 65,000 in 1945. It fell to 34,000 in 1975. The
population of Japan was still rising, but young people were leaving. The
population is now 15,000. There are many abandoned houses. You can walk for
an hour on the farm roads and not see a person or a car. If you wander into
the deep woods, you may be eaten by a wild boar. Old people suffering from
dementia sometimes wander off and are never seen again. In other rural
districts, the government is trying to encourage people to buy rifles and
shoot the bears and deer. (It is a myth that they do not allow guns. During
hunting season the place sounds like a war zone.)

Japan has a high population density, but that is an average. The population
is crammed into one or two big cities. There is plenty of space elsewhere.

Young people left Oshima in the 1960s because there were no jobs there.
Until 1968, there was no off-island telephone service. It is a beautiful
place, but as a friend of mine there said, "we don't want to live in a
museum." There was no bridge. You had to take a ferry, which did not run
often. Until sometime well into this century, there was no internet as far
as I know. No fast internet, anyway. Now, there is. If a young person
wanted to move there and work virtually in Tokyo, or Hiroshima, which is
the closest city, she could do that. She could commute to Hiroshima once or
twice a week. She could have a large house for not much money, and an acre
or two of land. Raising children there is not expensive. Japan is
supposedly rule-bound and conformist, but not in the countryside. Not in my
experience. On one of the islands nearby, you can build your own house and
you can have an illicit automobile for free. No inspections. Just hide it
in the orange grove when the police visit once or twice a year. 12-year-old
kids drive cars there, with no license, the way my mother did in the 1920s
in New York City. Edo-period happy-go-lucky lifestyles have survived. I
found a pile of discarded condoms in the woods near the highschool.

There was no telecommuting in Japan until COVID struck. Everyone had to go
to the office, and stay late in the evening, doing nothing. COVID showed
that is not necessary. Or even useful. Offices were drowning in physical
paperwork, which meant people had to actually go there to shuffle papers
and stamp seals. It turned out that served no purpose either. Who knew?!?
(Everyone knew.)

There is no reason why they should not have more kindergartens. It just has
never been a priority for the national or local governments. Everyone knows
there are not enough, but the government prefers to send billions to
well-connected construction companies to build useless roads.

Urban couples are far from family, but they could move closer if work were
decentralized. Childcare will be easier when robots become more capable.

In other words, depopulation will open up resources and opportunities to
re-populate. And I am sure young people decades from now will
enthusiastically re-populate.