My initial reaction to the water creating heat by contact was the same as
yours, that it was chemical. However, if you wait for an hour or so, when you
place a droplet of water on the same spot the same thing happens.

Something I forgot to emphasize about this nanoporous aluminum film is that the
total thickness in this case was about 400 nm, but the graduated nanoporosity
was probably about half that. So the disappearing water is really more
remarkable. Because of the gradient from nanoporous to solid the coating is
very cohesive, not flakey like some of the LEC plating. I'm guessing, but I
think that the pores start off larger at the surface and become progressively
smaller toward the solid metal.