     Renowned Bird Flu Expert Warns: Be Prepared
     March 14, 2006 - Robert G. Webster is one of the
     few bird flu experts confident enough to answer
     the key question: Will the avian flu switch from
     posing a terrible hazard to birds to becoming a
     real threat to humans?

     There are "about even odds at this time for the
     virus to learn how to transmit human to human,"
     he told ABC's "World News Tonight." Webster, the
     Rosemary Thomas Chair at St. Jude Children's
     Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., is credited
     as the first scientist to find the link between
     human flu and bird flu.

     Webster and his team of scientists are working
     to find a way to beat the virus if it morphs.
     He has even been dubbed the Flu Hunter.

     Right now, H5N1, a type of avian influenza
     virus, has confined itself to birds. It can
     be transmitted from bird to human but only
     by direct contact with the droppings and
     excretions of infected birds.

     But viruses mutate, and the big fear among
     the world's scientists is that the bird flu
     virus will join the human flu virus, change
     its genetic code and emerge as a new and
     deadly flu that can spread through the air
     from human to human.

     If the virus does mutate, it does not
     necessarily mean it will be as deadly to
     people as it is to birds. But experts such
     as Webster say they must prepare for the worst.

     "I personally believe it will happen and
     make personal preparations," said Webster,
     who has stored a three-month supply of
     food and water at his home in case of an
     outbreak.

     Frightening Warning
     "Society just can't accept the idea that
     50 percent of the population could die.
     And I think we have to face that possibility,"
     Webster said. "I'm sorry if I'm making people
     a little frightened, but I feel it's my role."

     Most scientists won't put it that bluntly,
     but many acknowledge that Webster could be
     right about the flu becoming transmissible
     among humans, even though they believe the
     50 percent figure could be too high.

     Researcher Dr. Anne Moscona at New York Weill
     Cornell Medical Center said that a human form
     may not mutate this year or next - or ever -
     but it would be foolish to ignore the dire
     consequences if it did.

     "If bird flu becomes not bird flu but mutates
     into a form that can be transmitted between
     humans, we could then have a spread like
     wildfire across the globe," Moscona said.

Well, the Apocalyse does have a section where 200,000,000
horsemen slay one third of the human race.  8-)

Cheers,

Cassandra

See also,
http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=About.About