Sorry - but I've been there. I was an "alternate energy" engineer quite a few years ago, specializing in solar, both in North America and overseas in India, Pakistan and Thailand. Wind power is inconsistent (like I said). Solar power - if you put panels on every square metre of the US - may supply lots of energy. Prohibitive cost? Yup.

We also have three levels of hot air in Canada: Federal, Provincial and Municipal. Lots of potential there.

Small hydro? Location-specific, but as I said, consistent.

Biomass? Lots of logging here in Canada, as well as crop waste; lots of potential. Some years ago the Tennessee Valley Authority had some excellent, quite ambitious plans for harnessing biomass. Like I said, they tackled the logistics and the rest fell into place.

P.