At present,  even defenders of hybrids seem to admit that over all cost
savings from higher gas mileage - and apart from subsidies -  mean you
have to run them
for 15 years or rack up an extreme amount of odometer mileage.
Maintenance costs on such a new technology are likely to high , as well.
-  although  constant
speed gas engine might do very well as to lifetime between rebuilds.
For God's sake,  somebody throw a diesel in here! ( given the extreme
longevity of some
truck engines)

The premium over the price of a regular car is a problem.  I sincerely
hope that it follows the path of VCRs  - which dropped from $2000+ (
Cartivision from Sears)
down to the present $80-90 at Walmart.  If it doesn't drop, we've got a
problem.  When I see more "energy" used in the manufacture of hybrids, I
mean all the
costs of manufacture from raw materials upward , into finished parts  -
and I don't trust any academic estimates in this - only free markets can
tell us the answer.
( Old Soviet joke:  Gorbachev said that when Communism takes over the
world, they will have to leave New Zealand alone, to get some idea of
what prices should be!)

What do we "save" in hybrid manufacture?  No mechanical powertrain.
What extra do we pay for?  More batteries,  more complex controls (
Asian factories
can bring the cost down) ,  a big electric motor ( possibly combined
with some braking generation).  You still need an engine big enough to
power the car up long
hills, after the batteries give out. ( if this is not provided, I expect
to see stalled hybrids on the shoulders of highways around Scranton,
Pennsylvania - any one
remember  "30,000 lbs. Of Bananas" by Harry Chapin?)

If anyone can make this work ( $ -wise),  I think Toyota can.   Good
Lord,  is copper $4 a pound today?

Jed Rothwell wrote:
> Zell, Chris wrote:
>
>> Consumer Reports claims hybrid gas mileage is 19 mpg lower than the
>> EPA says and are among the worst in mileage exaggeration.
>>
>> http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023460
>
> But they are the best in mileage! According to the Consumer Reports
> list on this page!

I think it's also worth noting that CU admits that they made a *mistake*
in their comparison of hybrids with other cars.

The added the extra depreciation _and_ the extra initial purchase cost
to the cost of owning a hybrid, and so concluded that overall the hybrid
was more expensive.  In a response to a letter in a recent issue they
stated that by erroneously double-counting the higher price they skewed
it toward conventional vehicles; without the double-counting, the
hybrids came out cheaper.

I don't have the details but I might be able to find the issue if anyone
cares.  (And if I actually saw this in someone else's letter to Vortex,
rather than in CU itself, then I will apologize and will feel intense
embarrassment as penance.)