From: Stephen A. Lawrence [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 11:57 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: Electron Band Structure In Germanium, My Xss

OrionWorks wrote:
> This is for anyone who's ever struggled through a physics lab:
>
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html
>
> I love the graphic. Especially the line drawn through the data points.

First-rate, front to back!  I loved this quote:

> This is how they treat undergrads around here: they give you broken
> tools and then don't understand why you don't get any results.

It was explained to me, back when I was in college, that the biggest
barrier to a physics degree was the "junior physics lab", which one took
in one's junior year.  In that lab, one did things like demonstrate the
Hall effect (non-trivial!), using nothing but outdated, obsolete, and/or
broken equipment.

The reason wasn't any lack of money (not at _that_ school).  The reason,
I was told, was that there were Too Many Physics Majors and Not Enough
Physics Jobs.  In consequence, the undergraduate physics program was
made intentionally distasteful.  And if, by some miracle, you got
through the first two years without getting the message, you ran smack
into the horrible h*** of the Junior Physics Lab, and if you got through
_THAT_, then by golly you were *dedicated* and were eligible to be one
of the chosen few.

Me, personally, I wasn't, and I didn't...  I gave it up as a bad deal
halfway through the undergrad quantum course, which was awful.