I came across this animation...

http://www.ilight.com/

...and was struck by the resemblance to the
photo on Mizuno's book cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader/ref=sib_dp_pt/
102-7351500-5733754?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=1892925001

http://tinyurl.com/rd4c9

I now understand just what that photo is
telling us though I don't expect many people
to take me seriously since the congnitive
dissonance of the explanation is too great.

The photo is showing the splashes of material
thrown up by the collapse of the roof of a
nuclear explosion cavity which is at Beta-
atmosphere pressures vastly below ambient.

The different cones are caused by different
pieces hitting the floor of the cavity at
enormous speed. This enormous speed arises
from the huge pressure differential between
the outside and the inside. The way they
radiate out shows that the different parts
of the collapse dome are projected along
their respective diameters in accordance
with the force vectors operating,

Ah well, it shows that nucular (pace Dubya)
reactions are definitely taking place. It
would take those kind of pressures to open
up such a huge Beta-atmosphere cavity in
a metal.

The structures are not unlike that famous
photo of a drop impacting on the surface of
milk.

Frank Grimer