When 9-11 happened, what depressed and horrified me the most was not the
actual losses of life and property, although they were bad enough.

What horrified me most was hearing that the Muslim men involved might
have attended college, gone to strip clubs and consumed alcohol.  In
short, they
had every available benefit or pleasure western society offered  - and
still dedicated themselves to mass murder and suicide.  If we cannot
count on these
sort of activities civilizing a person - or at least allowing them to
release whatever intense emotion dominates them - I'm not sure what hope
for humanity remains.

What I fear most is the inevitable expansion of technology getting into
Muslim hands - I hesitate to say "radical Muslims" because it still is
not clear to me
that such radicalism is really radical among large numbers of Muslims.
At any rate,  while cold fusion may not give us fissionable materials at
present,
We can't be sure that a simple procedure won't allow that kind of threat
in the future, by whatever physics uncovers.

We, of the west, have a right to survive as individuals and as a
culture.  I continue to hope that negotiation and good sense prevail
everywhere, especially
In the Middle East.  Nevertheless, if these countries refuse to reform -
and technology of mass destruction falls into the hands of terrorists
with their blessings,
I would not flinch at their mass annihilation.  I am also horrified at
the numbers of people who ignore this - and eagerly seize upon schemes
of appeasement
In the present crisis.

Let's all hope for 'free energy'  and the peace that it might bring
about.