Indeed Robin, as you wrote some time ago, the small radii of the hydrinos
(shrunken H atoms) if they exist would facilitate the close encounters required
for fusion.

This reminds me I had promised Fred I would post a derivation of allowed
(unshrunken) circular electron orbits radii in Bohr's semi-classical model for
the H atom, here is one (it may not be the shortest route,
improvements/comments welcome):
--------------------------------
Notations (values in SI)
-----------------
k coulombic force constant (8.99*10^9)
me electron mass (9.11*10^-31)
e electron charge (1.6*10^-19)
h Planck's constant (6.6x10^-34)
v orbital velocity
r orbit radius
n integral number (of wavelengths in orbit circumference)

F=ma (Newton's 2nd law)
----
k*e*e/r²=me*v²/r
k*e²=me*v²*r
r=k*e²/(me*v²)       (1)

Bohr's postulate: orbit circumference is a multiple of the
electron's velocity-dependent De Broglie wavelength h/(me*v)
(which I view as a condition of non self-destruction of the
electron as a wave. Such self-destructive interference would
be the main obstacle to my believing in hydrinos if the wave
particle duality made total sense to me ;)
-------------------
n*h/(me*v)=2*pi*r    (2)

(1) and (2) => n*h/(me*v)=2*pi*k*e²/(me*v²)
n*h*v=2*pi*k*e²
v=2*pi*k*e²/(n*h)

(2)=> r=n*h/(me*v*2*pi)
r=n*h/(me*2*pi*(2*pi*k*e²)/(n*h))
r=(n*h)²/(me*(2*pi)²*k*e²)
r=n²*(6.6x10^-34)²/(9.11*10^-31*39.4*8.99*10^9*((1.6*10^-19)²)))
r=n²*52.7*10^-12 m

One recognizes the 52.7 pm base level Bohr radius so it must be right ;)
Michel