After all that's happened, the Science Inquisition is still humming along. I feel bad for the guy, especially as few in the media (correct me if I'm wrong) will go out to bat for him. Hopefully I am wrong.

I myself got into, shall we say, an intense conversation today, while at work. I mentioned Cold Fusion, and got the usual nonsense thrown back at me.

It's just not possible to deal with a mind that's sealed tightly shut.

Philip.

At 04:39 PM 2/5/2007 -0800, you wrote:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/02/05/national/a151838S67.DTL&feed=rss.news

MIT Professor Begins Hunger Strike

By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press Writer

Monday, February 5, 2007

(02-05) 15:18 PST BOSTON, (AP) --

An MIT professor began a hunger strike Monday to protest the university's decision to deny him tenure, which he claims was based on his choice to study cold fusion.

Peter Hagerty, a cold fusion scientist, said he tried for two years to persuade administrators at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to reverse the department head's rejection of his tenure bid.

"I'm not actually doing this to get tenured," Hagerty said. "I'm doing this for the reason that I wasn't tenured ­ which is scientific racism ­ and I want this institution to admit that that is the problem and make plans to do something about it."

After a last meal ­ two bowls of Chex cereal ­ Hagerty stood outside provost L. Rafael Reif's office in protest, accompanied by about 25 friends and supporters.