Harry Veeder wrote:

Harry:
The raison d'ĂȘtre of GR is to explain gravity.

Stephen:
That's right.  But you don't need it to resolve the twins problem, which
takes place in flat space.

I am confused.
In your first response to me you started off by saying the opposite:

Harry:
That works in SR, but the solution is inconsistent with GR.
Stephen:
Wrong.  In fact the full solution can only be had using techniques
commonly considered to be part of GR.

Err hmmph.  Well.  What I meant by that is this....

Gravity, and the attendant curved space, is unnecessary to the solution to the twins problem. However, if you want to solve the problem from the point of view of the traveling twin, without neglecting acceleration (i.e., without assuming velocity changes happen "instantly"), then you need to use techniques which are commonly treated as part of general relativity, rather than special relativity. If one is willing to do the actual calculations using the frame of reference of the stationary twin, however, then there's no need to integrate over a curved path with a non-Minkowski metric, and we can solve it, acceleration included, using techniques from SR. See, for example:

http://www.physicsinsights.org/accelerating_twins.html

In case that was all insufficiently murky, let me add to the confusion by explaining that the boundary between GR and SR has been a bit of a moving target over the years. Initially SR dealt only with inertial frames (no acceleration), and in fact the basic postulates of SR don't really say what happens during acceleration. However, if we add the _assumption_ that clocks are not affected by acceleration, then at the expense of some additional complexity in the math we can solve problems such as this one entirely within the "extended" version of SR, in either frame of reference. From that point of view, anything _except_ gravity is in the bailiwick of SR.

Finally, I should mention that there is a somewhat surprising error on my accelerating twins page, linked to above. (I don't mean it's surprising that there's an error; rather, the particular error is surprising!) At the bottom of the page I mentioned that I hadn't yet done the porthole view from the ship but asserted that it "contains no new surprises". That's utterly wrong -- the porthole view from the ship is extremely surprising, as I found when I started to work it out. Someday I may get around to putting together an "integrated" page on all this, showing how the pieces fit together; it's not as straightforward as it appears at first glance. Here's a partial writeup:

http://www.physicsinsights.org/porthole_view_1.html

As someone said when I mentioned the effects discussed on that page, "Oh, that's just aberration!". Well, yeah, it is aberration -- but I wouldn't have said "just" aberration; I think it's highly weird...

Harry