From: Jed Rothwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: vortex-L@eskimo.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:24:52 PM
Subject: [Vo]:Should Congress support cold fusion? I vote no!

Here is part of a message I just sent to some friends.

. . . This may sound strange coming from me, but I think it is
unreasonable for us to expect a congressman or government official to
support cold fusion research. In fact, I think it would be
irresponsible for a government official to lend support to it. As
long as nearly all mainstream scientists vociferously oppose cold
fusion, and as long as they consider it no better than creationism, I
do not think Congress should overrule them. After all, if cold fusion
really did resemble creationism or faith healing, we would not want a
Congressman to step in and promote it over the objections of experts.

In other words, the failure here is in the scientific community, not
in the national political leadership.

People such as Huizenga, Park and the editor of the Scientific
American have acted unethically and unprofessionally. They should be
held responsible. The people at the DoE who reneged on their promise
should be held responsible. (See
http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/LENRCANRthedoelies.pdf) They -- not
elected officials -- are to blame.

Conversely, I think the public should bring pressure on the Congress
and on places like the APS to fund cold fusion. The public should
tell Robert Park to shut up. This is a subtle distinction: Congress
is not to blame, but if the people tell them to fix the problem, they
should turn around and order the DoE to fund cold fusion. The fire
department is not to blame when a fire breaks out, but after you call
911 and tell them about it, they should come and put it out.

Think about a systematic failure in some other institution. For
example, it is likely that fast food restaurants are contributing to
obesity. That is a problem with the food industry, not with the
Congress, although it is caused in part by agricultural subsidies.
Perhaps Congress should do something about this, but only if the
public demands action. Suppose the public is satisfied with the
quality of fast food. Or suppose it feels that fast food restaurants
have the right to serve anything they want despite the effects on
public health. Or that obesity is a personal problem rather than a
public-health issue. These arguments have merit, and if that is the
public perception, we should honor it and do nothing about fast-food
obesity. Political leaders and nutrition researchers should present
their best case, but in the end, the voters decide the agenda.

If U.S. voters agree that cold fusion should not be publicly funded,
I reluctantly go along with their decision. I think they have been
deceived by malicious opponents, but people have a right to be deceived.

You might argue that 0.1% of scientists and the voting public support
cold fusion research, so it would be fair to allocate 0.1% of the
energy research budget for this purpose. But, by the same standard, I
suppose 1% of the public believes in perpetual motion machines such
as the one Joe Newman claims he has. I would not want to see the
government spend research money on that sort of thing. Some polls
indicate that half of the public believes in creationism instead of
evolution, but I would not want to see government money spent on
creationism. (I suspect these polls exaggerate the support for creationism.)

Public funding for cold fusion is a complicated issue, but as I said
in the introduction to the book, in the end it is up to the public.
Private funding by individuals, universities or corporations is a
simple issue. They should fund this research as much as they want to!