Jeff Fink wrote:

> So, why can’t people living within a few hundred feet
> of high voltage transmission lines tap useful “free”
> power with a 60 Hz receiver circuit?

They can and have.  You don't see it anymore, but I
used to read of the occasional farmer caught at this
sort of thing, usually just with an elongated coil
near the transmission lines, not a resonant circuit.

However, I remember reading of one farmer who had an
elaborate system built under the roof of his barn at
a subtantial distance from the power lines. Knowing
what I now know, it had to have been a resonant circuit.

You have to wonder why the guy was a farmer if he that
kind of talent.  Also, you can just imagine how hard it
would be to detect this type of power theft in an urban
environment.

M.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com