On Jun 10, 2007, at 12:40 PM, Michel Jullian wrote:

Electrolysis by AC through insulators when no separation of the products is required, a very ingenious and elegant idea Horace, if it's not been done before it's definitely worth investigating IMHO. With this idea you could electrolyze water through a test tube!

Not sure about high frequency though, maybe some delay should be implemented between positive and negative pulses to give the products a chance to diffuse/evolve so they don't get mostly undone/ recombined immediately? Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work on the principle, imagine you send one pulse of one polarity and then another of the opposite polarity several seconds later when everything has settled, it will be strictly as if you had sent two pulses of the same polarity won't it?

Yes, if the bubbles can be made to evolve. The bubbles typically collapse due to recombination in an AC cell. This may be an interesting variation on cavitation based cold fusion because the bubble collapse is concurrent with the recombination reaction, and if the current is high enough it causes the plates to light up with activity.

Some years ago here I posted a bunch of ideas along the lines of capacitive AC linking of power to electrolytic cells. A couple of them are very relevant to your comment. One was to use scraper blades on the plates that would scrape the bubbles off the plates, enough blades to ensure most bubbles from one polarity are removed before the next polarity begins. Another was to use plastic bubble scraping particles in the electrolyte, which are pumped by narrowly separated plates and then into a de-bubbler, or the particles are suspended in a solution stirred past the plates by a stirrer and then degassed (de-bubbled) by action of the stirrer with stator blades.

I also suggested a number of variants involving rotation of external DC charged metal plates (or electrets) which would create the effect of AC without expensive high current equipment, and which could thus directly turn mechanical motion into electrolysis.

Another variant I suggested for electrolysis is to use a hybrid triode cell. Large plate anodes and cathodes would carry the bulk of the current based on large changing external potentials due to AC on fixed plates, or moving external DC plates (see Fig. 1). Small bias electrodes B could be included between the plates (though shown to the side for convenience) to maintain a potential bias on the plates which selectively affects the percentages of anode or cathode products produced, or plate anodic erosion, by selectively overcoming the initial 2 molecule interface layer bias potential of one of either the plate anodes or plate cathodes, as determined by the bias electrode B potential chosen. The resistance R1 of the bias circuit is much higher than the resistance R2 + R3 of the plate interconnect circuit. The DC bias used might be about 1.5 V for a cell operated at about 6 VAC.

      - - - - - - - - - - - -      + + + + + + + + + + + +
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   X                                                          X
   X  + + + + + + + + + + + +      - - - - - - - - - - - -  B X
   X            |                              |            | X
   X            =======R2==============R3=======            | X
   X                           |                            | X
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XX
                               |                            |
                               R1                           |
                               |                            |
                               |                            |
                              (-)                          (+)

         Key:

         =,|  Wires
         Ri   Resistance
         XXX  Dielectric cell wall
         + +  Metal Anode
         - -  Metal Cathode
         ( )  DC Power supply lead

  Fig. 1 - Top view diagram of AC-DC hybrid electrolytic cell.

Some other ideas for electrolytic cells I collected into:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/Electrolyser.pdf

Regards,

Horace Heffner