William Beaty wrote:

> Antique Simplex Shoe Fitting X-Ray Machine 1930's-40's

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220118855684

> Collectors pay big bucks for these! But you'll have to drive to Kansas
> to pick it up.

Likely the three or four thousand dollar price is less than new,
adjusting for inflation.

Am I the only one on the list with first-hand experience with these
machines? When I was a kid, not only did my mother insist that she
peer at great length at the fluoroscopic image of my feet in prospective
new shoes, I had other, longer and more frequent exposure sessions.

My neighborhood was little over a mile from the downtown movie theaters,
so my friends and I would either walk or ride our bikes to the
latest matinee combination of cartoons and "It Came from Outer Space"
or some other B-grade sci-fi. The street we traveled on was packed
with shoe stores, most of which had these x-ray machines right near the
front door.

It was our afternoon entertainment on returning from the movies to go
into a shoe store and look at our feet and each others feet for a really
long time, or until one of the shoe salesmen chased us out. There was just
a button on the side that you had to press to turn the thing on and it
warmed up quickly.

It's just a guess, but I would estimate that my friends and I had several
hours each total exposure to the x-rays emitted from these beasts. To my
knowledge, none of us has developed any symptoms associated with x-ray
exposure. Now while I realize x-rays are not good for you, I have to
wonder if the dangerous exposure level has been grossly exaggerated.

And I gotta tell you, in the days before wide-spread television and the
internet, wiggling your toes and seeing the bones move was the height
of kid entertainment.

M.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.