> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:36:57 +0200, "Michel Jullian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >Applications of EHD to aircraft aerodynamics has been a subject of
> >intense research recently, lookup e.g. OAUGDP.
> >
> >Why _piezo_ ceramic tiles BTW?

Suppose that polyethelene-covered conductors at AC high frequency can
produce plasma layers.  If instead we use high-K dielectric like barium
titanate or PZT, then the same plasma effects will also occur at lower AC
frequency (perhaps several thousand times lower freq than with PE
plastic.)  Also, a ceramic insulator would better survive damage from
corona effects.  And, if the ceramic contains no carbon, then an
arc-through would self heal after the melted material cooled down.

If military aircraft are seen to be covered with barium titanate, well,
perhaps it's an antireflector coating for radar.   Or perhaps it's there
for creating a plasma layer whenever the aircraft is electrically driven
with a huge voltage.

Where AC is concerned, dielectric materials resemble conductors.  For
example, place some dielectric pucks upon a metal electrode, then drive
that electrode with HV at high frequency.  If any plasma streamers were to
appear, they would leap from the tops of the dielectric pucks, and not
from the metal surface.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci